Sunday, July 10, 2011

Laughter is Truely the Best Medicine

    Last night we went to dinner with some friends.  Always on the lookout for a deal or a discount, I chose a restaurant where kids always eat free with a paying adult. So, gathered around a long booth, Buzztime trivia set up and orders placed, we talked and laughed and waited for our food.  My husband who suffers from tinnitus, a constant ringing in his ears left over from his combat engineer days in the Army National Guard, sometimes has difficulty hearing things clearly in venues such as a busy restaurant with music playing and people talking and games on televisions. 
    My friend turns to her husband and says, "I want dippin' dots."  For those who don't know they are this space age looking ice cream that is shaped like little pellets.  My husband, who obviously didn't hear correctly what she said, took on a look of complete shock as his eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.  Now, I will not repeat what it was that he thought heard but if you use your imagination I am certain that you will be able to come up with a comparable, completely inappropriate version of that statement. 
    As he stared in disbelief at our usually somewhat reserved friend I asked him what he thought she had said.  He whisperes into my ear his version of the statement and it took all of my self control to contain myself enough to repeat it to our friend.  In seconds we had all dissolved in laughter.
    When we left for dinner that night I was in a foul mood with no interest in doing anything let alone socializing.  Prone to contracting pink eye, both viral and bacterial,  I had somehow managed to get an infection and it was making me crazy... and cranky.  (Don't tell my little nephew but I am pretty sure it is his fault for sneezing in my face earlier in the week.  You know, one of those wet, juicy, disgusting sneezes...)  Anyway, after our grown up version of the telephone game, we laughed until we cried and it felt damn good.
    It really is true what they say- laughter is the best medicine.
    Last year, on the 4th of July, my husband and I sat out on our deck watching a neighbor put on his famous (to us anyway) fireworks show.  Our neighbor ont he other side had been busy for days putting in a new kitchen floor and his wife and son were out of town visiting family so when we discovered him sitting in his own yard by himself, we invited him over. 
   July 4th was just three days before my father passed away and we all knew it was coming.  I was stressed and worried and sad and afraid.  I was also very, very tired of life running me instead of me running my life.  We spent all of our time working and worry about this chore or that bill and as I have previously shared with you, somewhere along the line in my adult life I had forgetten to stop once in a while and just smell the roses.  I was a wife, a mother, a daughter, a teacher but somehow I had forgotten to be a person.  An individual who liked to read and write and scrapbook and play Trivial Pursuit and go to the beach and just hang out with friends and have a good laugh.
   The three of us sat on that deck long passed midnight that night talking about life and what we missed about our youth and how nice it was to just sit.  We vowed that we needed to spend more Saturday nights on the deck, relaxing and just enjoying life.  There was no need to take expensive vacations or spend big money in fancy restaurants or even purchase season tickets to Busch Gradens just to have a good time.  We have carved out three hours a week most Saturday nights now to build a fire, drink a few beverages and just laugh.  Sometimes we eat, sometimes we play a game but we always, always laugh and have a good time. 
   We didn't even have to spend money on firewood.  A big storm like we often get, took down a dead tree that was already dry and ripe for burning.  Enough firewood for a whole year of satruday nights!
   Seven years aago my husband and I packed a Ryder truck and set off in search of a better life.  He wanted his dream job, I wanted to live near the ocean.  Arriving in town just in time for Hurricane Charlie to drench us in tropical waters, we set up camp in a resort city that thousands of people pay big bucks top vacation in.
    To me, its liek we live in paradise all the time. 
    I have twenty different pairs of flip flops- "dressy" ones and casual ones.  I like to drive with the sunroof open and the windows down and the feel of the sun on skin makes me one happy girls.  My boys hate shoes and shirts, love the beach and can't wait for their first surf boards.  We have adapted to the southern way of life quite nicely but it is only in recent months that I have really owned.
    I don't care what anyone says, chivalry is not dead in the south, people still make casseroles when someone is sick or passes away and you can always count on a neighbor to water your plants or grab your mail when you are out of town.  In general I found that people are happier here too.  And nicer. 
    We were in town for six weeks when my husband turned to me one day and said, "You know?  I don't think anyone has flipped me the bird the entire time we have lived here!"  In New England, drivers keep one hand on the wheel and one hand in the ready position in case they have to pass on the bird.  I truley believe that's why so amny northern states are outlawing cell phone use while driving- not enough hands to drive, talk and flip people off with!
   I find myself alot more relaxed these days than I have been in a long time.  The Northerner in me is finally letting go and letting my Southern soul shine through.  I am happy to be surrounded by fresh air, blue skies and sunshine so much of the time and as I continue on my personal path of self discovery, I am definitely taking more time to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment