Saturday, May 14, 2011

God Bless America

     Yesterday we were privleged enough to attend the retirement ceremony of a good friend and neighbor.  After twenty one years of serving his country, our friend retired from the Navy with as much honor as he deserves.  The ceremony, held on the final ship on which he served was attended by many of his colleagues as well as friends and family.  It was obvious that not only had he been an outstanding sailor, retiring with the rank of Senior Chief, but he was also admired and well liked. 
    There is no doubt that I was as excited and enomored as my two boys were.  The awe inspiring ship was massive in size yet majestic as it sat afloat the ocean waters.  A fairly new member of the fleet, her paint was untarnished and her decks gleamed.  Built partly in honor of those who were lost during the 9/11 attacks it was almost as though the souls of the dead filled her hallowed halls and left me with such an intense feeling of respect for those that sailed her in their names. 
   The ceremony itself was an emotional event and as the awards were given, the presentations made and the speeches completed I travelled a roller coaster of laughter and tears.  My eyes were moist during the singing of the National Anthem and I felt the tears begging to be set free when he presented his wife with a gift of love and appreciation but I downright broke down during the flag ceremony.
   We are an intensely patriotic family.  My youngest boy, still in preschool, has learned the entire National Anthem and sings it every where.  Old Glory waves proudly from our front porch and small flags decorate our ladscape the way other yards have flowers. A similar ceremony was done at my father's funeral as he was a veteran of Vietnam.  A representative colorguard contingency performed TAPS in  his honor and then presented my mother with a flag.  My oldest child clung to me and cried, the little one had no idea why but he cried too.  There was something so powerful in those quiet notes and the sight of the American Flag honoring my father's life that it is really the only part of the funeral that I remember.  That and the way everyone had to choke back a laugh when the priest claimed Dad had been a man of few words.  Two great men among so many, honored for their commitment to life, liberty and the pursuit of freedom.
    Yesterday's event was monumental to me.  I have a huge respect for our military men and women.  It is because of them that we sleep safely in our beds at night with freedom to live and speak and write and feel how we please.  To all of the soldiers and sailors out there, I thank you.  But I also reserve a very special amount of respect for the spouses of our military.  It is the husbands and wives at home that keep the homefires burning, so to speak, that allow our military men and women to do what they do best- protect our freedom and livlihood.  So to every military spouse I know and the thousands that I don't - thank you for all that you do in the absence of your loved one to allow them to protect your family and mine.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tribute. And yes, that was the most heart-breaking part of Dad's memorial. And my father in law's.

    ReplyDelete