Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

  Yesterday I took my boys to get haircuts.  My older son likes a good buzz cut in the warmer months and this time he also requested "spikey" hair.  So, when it was his turn, he jumped up in the seat and informed the stylist of what he wanted.  She took out her clippers and basically shaved away all of his thick, glorious "winter" hair and left behind a smiling eight year old with gelled spikes and a toothy grin. 
   As he left the chair and my younger boy took his place, I asked the stylist to clip the sides and trim his longer "bowl cut".  As she grabbed her clippers, my son, with fear in his eyes, grabbed his head and yelled, "I don't want a buzz cut!  I want a bowl cut!"  Apparently even at the age of five he has a definitive opinion on his own looks.  This shouldn't have surprised me given his extremely independent nature but I guess it did.
  When did my baby boy grow up? 
   I am not ready for this!  He needs to slow down some, give me a chance to adapt.  
   A couple of weeks ago my oldest son was learning about China in school.  When he got off the bus in the afternoon, he was very excited as he asked my husband, "Does Mommy still want to have a little girl?"  My husband, gracious and noncomittal responded, "I'm sure she does but she is happy with what she has," or something to that effect.  My boy, convinced he had the answer to all of my problems says, "Well she can go to China and get one.  They don't want girls there!" 
    Out of the mouths of babes...
    I imagine that his second grade teacher was simply telling the class about the population in China and how the government passed a law limiting births.  She probably told them about orphanages and boy babies being preferred because they can work in the family businesses.  I am certain that she didn't tell her students that boys are more "valuable" as my son relayed to me.  I am also touched that as he sat there in his little school desk processing the information he thought of me and my obviously not so secret desire to have a daughter.
    Obviously both of my little boys are growing up.
    Before long they will be teenagers, then off to college and one day they will marry and have children of their own. 
    Perhaps it is time for me to stop wishing for what I don't have and enjoy what is right here with me.  I have two little boys that will one day be men.  It would be a huge disservice to them and their future wives if I don't do the very best job I can do teaching them to be strong and sensitive, caring and successful.  How can I do that if I am constantly longing for something I will most likely never have? 
    

2 comments:

  1. It can be hard to switch gears after wanting something for so long, but if anyone has the tenacity to look forward, it's you! Love how the boys have such unique and strong personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live for today while planning for a future...because you never know what will happen tomorrow. You have two wonderful boys that I wish I could see more enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete