Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Tribute to All the Moms

   This is a shout out to all of the moms in my life.  My own mother of course, the one who gave me life and then taught me how to live it as a caring, productive human being.  My sisters who are both wonderful mothers to their own sweet babies.  To my girlfriends and sisters-in-law and my mother in law I say thank you to all of you for dedicating your lives to your children.  Motherhood is by far the most important job any of us could have accepted yet there is no other career more fulfilling to the heart and soul.
    This morning, as I lay in bed pretending to be asleep, I listened to the excited voices of my own two boys as they created a Mother's Day extravaganza.  My little one came upstairs three times to tell me to sleep in so they could surprise me.  My older son took on the job of party planner, creating a check list and a detailed outline of how this morning's celebration should go.  I could hear little feet on the wood floor, smell bacon sizzling in a cast iron pan and only imagine the excitement in their eyes as they brought their plans to fruition.
    Finally, the moment arrived when I was summoned from my room.  I could hear giggles of excitement and pleasure as I made my way down the stairs and to the dining room.  The feast I encountered was absolutely stunning!  A plate of strawberries, oranges and apples next to a plate of chocolate chip cookies and mini muffins.  Goldfish crackers and club crackers and my personal bottle of apple juice at my place of honor.  The breakfast sandwhiches prepared by my husband were almost an after thought with so much deliousness to choose from! 
    The buffet was amazing but the gifts were awesome.  My older son had planted a flower for me in a styrofoam cup.  Along with that I was given a masterpeice of art displaying a caterpillar and not one, but two gold dollars from his personal coin collection!  My younger son presented me with a card containing a dollar bill (thank you grandparents for teaching my children cards have money in them!  I see this as the beginning of a retirement account!:-) ).  He also had the sweetest little poem with a heart made from his handprints.  I will treasure these gifts of love infinitely.
    It was at this moment that I realized what motherhood was truely all about. 
    Happy Mother's Day all!

1 comment:

  1. When I read this I got a little pfclmpt! What a sweet Mother's Day. A with his list cracks me up...reminds me of his Mama :) And I love how L kept running upstairs to tell you to stay asleep is priceless. You're a good mother...you deserve such a special day.

    ReplyDelete