Friday, June 10, 2011

Change is a Good Thing

    I have been sitting here for a good half hour trying to figure out where to start today's post.  At least three times I have started only to back space and delete until I am once again staring at a blank screen.  There's alot I would like to say but the eloquence has been lost on me today.  Change is something that has been on my mind a great deal in recent weeks.  I was presented with an opportunity- one of those too good to pass up things- that, if I take it, will change everything in my life professionally aside from the fact that I would still be a teacher.  It would mean leaving friends, giving up a classroom I am pretty attached to and stepping away from a group of students that I have grown to love over the years. 
    Essentially it means change.
    I used to embrace change.  Having inherited my father's gypsy genetics, I have lived in three states since my college graduation and embarked upon many different career changes before finally settling into the place and job I am now in.
    I am not the only one struggling with change.
    With barely a week to go, graduation is just about upon us.  My seniors have been taking exams and signing yearbooks and essentially tying up loose ends before embarking on the next leg of their journey.  There have been alot of tears this week too.  Two students broke down and cried on my shoulder yesterday- not ready to say good bye yet but anxious to be on their way.  I sense fear and trepidation mixed with excitement and anticipation.
   Let me share a story with you.
   I had a student this semester who, in no uncertain terms, did not like chemistry.  He let me know from day one that he hated my class and, as I soon found out, he wasn't too crazy about me either.  Turns out he thought I had an issue with race and accused me of as much in front of the entire class.  Those of you who know me are probably as shocked as I was.  Using this as a teaching moment, I told him a little bit about the blending in my own family and talked to him about thinking about his words before he voiced them becasue there was no way he could ever know someone's personal life or how his words might hurt. I suggested he might owe me an apology.
    It took him ninety minutes of class time to finally approache me and apologize but he did it.  That exchange changed our relationship permanently.  Today he has asked me to sign his yearbook and has passed me a "high five" for the unexpected success he had in chemistry.
   Change, in this case, was a very good thing.
   I am not sure if I was born passionate about teaching.  What I am passionate about is people.  If I can in some way change the life of one student for every year I teach, that is at least 30 people.  If they go on to effect change in others' lives, it will become a whole movement of change.  Talk about pay it forward!
   Our principal has a sign on the wall by her office door that reads "Be the change you want to see in the world."  By taking a moment to teach my student about the implications of his words, I may have changed his entire way of thinking.  He smiles at me now instead of scowling. He sees me as person who cares about his success, not as some "white teacher"  and I hope that he will go on into the world and see people as people and not a skin color. 
   Change can be daunting- even down right scary.  Animals are adaptable.  Humans are adaptable. 
  Change is truely a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate...I used to just love change, always crediting my father's gypsy genes, too! This is the 23rd place I've lived in, but in recent years I'm having a harder time with it. But we must always push ourselves to try new things and experiences...that's one of the best things about life. Thank you Dad for that lesson.

    ReplyDelete