Monday, June 20, 2011

From Full Throttle to Idle in 48 hours

     Today is the first official day of summer vacation.  Thanks to the joys of shift work and day rotations, my husband was actually home with us today as well.  We took the boys to Walmart and picked up one of those nets you toss a ball at and it bounces back at you as well as a tee for both of them to practice hitting a baseball.  Thanks to a good friend of the family, they have discovered a love of the the great American pasttime that I would very much like to foster.  Our school district has a habit of turning out exceptional ballplayers to professional teams and if either of my boys has the talent, this is the place for them to find out. 
    Surprisingly, the weather took a turn today.  After a week of 90+ temperatures, we are sitting a chilly 71 with on and off rainshowers. 
    Of course that has not kept the little ones in the house. 
    After so many months of running at full throttle, I am having a difficult time finding my brakes.  I have been wandering the house and back porch aimlessly, the feeling that there is something more I should be doing nagging at me.  I tried sitting on the proch swing and reading but I kept thinking about the cupboard I could empty of the laundry I could fold.  I decided maybe a nap was the right thing to do but after ten minutes I couldn't take being still anymore.  I don't have lessons to plan, tests to grade or emails to return.  I don't technically start my summer work until July 1 and I had to turn my laptop in for the summer anyway.  I would like to write in my most recent novel but can't focus my thoughts enough to do so. 
    My body is exhausted but my mind won't rest.
    Yesterday I spent a good chunk of time cleaning off the back porch.  We have this amazing outdoor room that, when I first saw it, sold me on our house.  Its as big as the average living room and is attached to two deck spaces as well as a pool that the deck wraps around.  Its amazing and my most favorite space in our home.  The winter and spring storms were not kind to it and it took a good deal of time to get rid of the grime left from rain and wind and snow.  Complete with dining area, rocking chair ceiling fans and a porch swing it is the perfect place to relax and slow down.  If only my mind would agree.
   Many of you know this already so it won't be a huge surprise when I tell you that I am not very good at keeping plants alive.  Some might even say I have a real black thumb.  The problem is remembering to water- it slips my mind.  Unless the plant is staring me in the face all the time.  So this year, determined to keep my father's amazing green thumb legacy alive, I purchased a bunch of pots, some soil and several plants.  Five tomato plants, two pepper plants, oregano, basil and parsley are now flourishing in my "pot" garden (No- not that  kind of pot!) and one tomoato is only a day from being ready to harvest. 
    Would you believe me when I tell you that my husband has even managed to successfully grow corn in a very large pot?  It's amazing to behold!
    So I now have a clean, comfortable deck teeming with beautiful vegetables and herbs to watch grow yet I haven't been able to sit still for more than five minutes.  Go figure.
    I would never lie and tell anyone that I don't love my summer vacation.  It is definitely one of the perks to my job.  But what I am now learning is that it might actually be a necessary perk.  The longer I teach the more I seem to need that little rest between school years.  Raising 180 teenagers every years is no small task!
    Of course, being home gives me a little taste of what it is like to be a stay at home mother.  Today alone has been a challenge- like finding ways to occupy two busy little men and planning three meals a day instead of one or two.  It gives me a renewed respect for the SAHM's in my life!
    I have plenty of neglected chores to keep me busy this summer for sure.  And let's not forget the impending nuptuals of my baby sister later this summer- between the shower and the wedding I will have enough to keep me busy for a bit.  There is always the beach, of course, and the hours we will spend at Tae Kwon Do with the older one as well as Saturday night game nights and bon fires.  I will write and read and organize but I one thing's for sure, I intend to relax.  I may have to learn how to do it but I will find a way!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment